Confident: Held Back No Longer
October 1, 2023
Description: What is holding you back? Everyone has a step to take. Everyone has a battle in front of them. Yet, many times there is something in our hearts, in our minds, deep in our souls that is holding us back. John concludes this letter we call 1 John by erasing the barriers of restraint by considering our obedience to Jesus and the eternal life he offers to give us in order to have the confidence we need in order to take our next step.
In light of this week’s message, we encourage you to consider these questions and dig in a little deeper with your personal study, with your family, or with your small group.
- (Optional icebreaker if in a group) What was something you were always afraid of doing, but when you overcame your fear and did it, you shouldn’t have been that afraid?
- Read 1 John 5:1-5. What are some commandments Jesus gave for us to obey? (for a list go to: https://carm.org/about-jesus/what-commandments-did-jesus-give-us/) When reading a few of these, why do you think they are not considered burdensome?
- Read 1 John 5:6-12. What evidence was mentioned about Jesus? What significance does baptism, the blood, and the Spirit play in both the evidence of Jesus and eternal life?
- Read 1 John 5:13-19. What is significant about God answering our prayers that “pleases him”? What is the significance of those “who make a practice of sinning”? What is the difference between someone who sins vs those who make a practice of sinning?
- Read 1 John 5:20-21. What is so powerful in this passage in how John concludes it?
- What is the biggest take away you have from this series on 1 John? What is the next step in confidence God is calling you to take? Pray for one another on that answer.