Home Improvement: Repurposed Singles
October 29, 2023
Description: For one reason or another, many people find themselves without a spouse. Is there a purpose? Does this impact how God views his plans for you? As a conclusion to the Home Improvement series, we take a hammer to destroy the false view that singleness is in some way incomplete by showing how God’s plan and purpose is made complete through Christ in you.
In light of this week’s message, we encourage you to consider these questions and dig in a little deeper with your personal study, with your family, or with your small group.
- (Optional Icebreaker) What is the best repurposing of common household items (life hacks) that you have ever seen? (example: toothpaste as pimple creme, old t-shirts as rags etc.)
- Who do you know that is single and living life to the fullest?
- Read 1 Corinthians 7:7-8, 25-35. What stands out to you about what Paul is describing of why singleness and an undivided discipline for the Lord is so good? If single, what does it look like to try and have an undivided devotion to Jesus? If married, what does it look like to try and have undivided devotion to Jesus?
- Bryan shared three ways to have an undivided devotion to Jesus by being: 1. Complete in Christ, 2. Christlike in Character, and 3. Committed in Community.
- Complete in Christ- Read Colossians 2:9-10. What does being complete in your union with Christ mean?
- Christlike in Character- Read 1 Timothy 4:12(b). Which from this character list do you need most growth in?
- Committed in Community- Read Hebrews 10:24-25. Why is it important to be connected to a community whether you are single or not?
- If in a group, pray for one another on which areas you are most needed to grow in. If alone, spend some time confessing and committing to God on what you discovered is an area of growth needed to have undivided devotion to Jesus.